Dental Implants: The Gold Standard for Smile Makeovers and Restorations
If you are looking for dental implants in Indianapolis, contact Dr. Ben Ahlbrecht at North Meridian Dental Excellence. Dental implants have been used successfully for smile restoration for the last 50 years and are the most conservative and longest-lasting treatment for replacing missing teeth. Implants are also useful for supporting dentures and bridges to correct more extensive tooth loss. Dental implants are prosthetic replacements for missing or severely damaged teeth. Dental implants placed by our Indianapolis office deliver an unprecedented level of patient satisfaction. Contact our team to learn more today.
What are Dental Implants?
Tooth implants provide a natural-looking appearance and long-lasting function. They are the gold standard for smile makeovers and dental restoration. If you are in the Indianapolis area and have lost one or more teeth to fractures, gum disease or tooth decay, Dr. Ben Ahlbrecht can help you regain your beautiful smile.
Why Choose Dental Implants?
- Implants can be used to fully restore teeth that are too badly damaged or decayed for repair with a porcelain inlay/onlay or a crown.
- A dental implant restores normal chewing and biting ability. Most patients can resume a normal, healthy diet that includes a wide variety of foods after treatment is complete.
- Tooth implants offer a conservative solution compared to a traditional bridge. Only the tooth that is being replaced is affected. The teeth on either side of the missing tooth do not need to be crowned to hold a conventional bridge.
- Patients can opt to have one or several teeth replaced with implants. Dental implants can also support dentures. These implant-supported dentures are more stable and comfortable than those held in place with adhesive.
- Replacing a missing tooth with an implant helps prevent other teeth from shifting out of alignment over time. Keeping teeth straight and even promotes better oral care. It makes proper brushing and flossing easier, which reduces the risk of cavities and gum disease.
- Since the prosthetic tooth is load-bearing (you can bite and chew with it), an implant may also help limit further jaw bone loss in the treated area.
- Long term success rates with implants range from 90-95%. Most patients enjoy their dental implants for life with no need for replacement or repair.
Who is a Candidate for Dental Implants?
If you have undergone extractions or are congenitally missing one or more teeth, we recommend speaking with Dr. Ben Ahlbrecht about getting the dental implants from our Indianapolis office. There is no upper age limit for this treatment. The most important factor in success rates for implants is bone density. Patients who have very advanced periodontitis (gum disease) may not have enough bone left to hold an implant. They may need one or more bone grafting procedures to boost their candidacy before they can get tooth implants. Smokers have more complications during healing than non-smokers, so if you smoke, we recommend quitting before you undergo this dental treatment.
Dental Implants Procedure Overview
Tooth implants rely on osseointegration to create a stable connection between a titanium implant and the jawbone. During osseointegration, the bone grows into direct contact with the implant, holding it firmly in place. Here’s a brief overview of the treatment process provided by Dr. Ben Ahlbrecht:
- Consultation – This includes a full oral exam, medical history, x-rays and a CT scan. This information is used to determine if you are a good candidate for dental implants, as well as what size and shape of implant to use.
- Preparation – If you have a tooth root in place, this is removed. The gum is opened slightly to expose the jawbone.
- Placement – A tiny hole is drilled in your jawbone and the titanium implant is screwed or fitted in place.
- Healing – This phase lasts around 2 months. During this time, your jawbone heals around the implant.
- Abutment – A small metal post is attached to the implant and your gum is allowed to heal again (this recovery period is much shorter).
- Restoration – A custom fabricated porcelain crown that looks like your natural teeth is fitted to the abutment.
More Information about Dental Implants in Our Indianapolis Office
This dental treatment generally has a higher up-front cost than traditional crowns and bridges. The restoration process also takes much longer. However, the investment in time and money can more than pay for itself with a reduction in dental interventions over your lifetime. Just be sure to practice excellent dental hygiene so you don’t lose more teeth!
Contact our office today if you are interested in learning more about dental implants in our Indianapolis office!
"North Meridian Dental Excellence is great! They've somehow cracked the code on making a trip to the dentist an enjoyable experience. Dr. Ahlbrecht and his team are all great to work with. Everyone is extremely friendly, nice and fun, while maintaining a professional, clean and private environment."Nick E.